Positive Material Identification (PMI) is the analysis of a metallic alloy to establish composition by reading the quantities by percentage of its constituent elements. Typical methods for PMI include X-ray fluorescence (XRF) and optical emission spectrometry (OES).
ositive material identification (PMI) is an essential non-destructive testing (NDT) method utilized to verify that supplied materials conform to the proper standards and specifications.
Each time raw material changes hands from alloy fabricator, through subcontractors and prefabrication shops, to erection site the opportunity for error increases, resulting in questionable material quality. With Positive Material Identification (PMI) the alloy composition, and thus, the identity of materials can be determined. If a material certificate is missing or not clear and one needs to be certain about the type of material used, PMI is the solution. PMI is particularly used for high-quality metals like stainless steel and high alloy metals and at various stages of the product lifecycle, including incoming material inspection, in-process verification, and final product inspection.
Application Specific Standards
- EN 12952-6, Water-tube boilers and auxiliary installations Inspection during construction; documentation and marking of pressure parts of the boiler
- EN 12953-5, Shell boilers. Inspection during construction, documentation and marking of pressure parts of the boiler
- EN 13480-5, Metallic industrial piping Inspection and testing
- EN 13445-5, Unfired pressure vessels Inspection and testing
- EN 12732, Gas infrastructure. Welding steel pipework. Functional requirements
- EN 14015, Specification for the design and manufacture of site built, vertical, cylindrical, flat-bottomed, above ground, welded, steel tanks for the storage of liquids at ambient temperature and above
- EN 1090-2, Execution of steel structures and aluminium structures Technical requirements for steel structures
- EN 14197-2, Cryogenic vessels. Static non-vacuum insulated vessels Design, fabrication, inspection and testing
- EN 13458-2, Cryogenic vessels. Static vacuum insulated vessels Design, fabrication, inspection and testing
- EN-ISO 9606-1, Qualification testing of welders. Fusion welding Steels
- EN-ISO 9606-2, Qualification test of welders. Fusion welding Aluminium and aluminium alloys
- EN ISO 15614-1 Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Welding procedure test. Arc and gas welding of steels and arc welding of nickel and nickel alloys
- EN-ISO 17635, Non-destructive testing of welds. General rules for metallic materials
Standards Specific to Positive Material Identification
- API RP 578, Material Verification Program for New and Existing Alloy Piping Systems