Optical and visual testing, is a kind of non destructive testing where the test parts are visually checked.The following kinds of defects can be found with this inspection:
faulty or incomplete assembly, connection
burr formation untercuts and cracks
change of colour (tarnishing with for example austenitic steels)
lack of fusion
Visual testing is limited to only detect defects on the surface of a test part.
Visual inspection is by far the most common non-destructive testing (NDT) technique and is the basis for all NDT inspection programs. When attempting to determine the soundness of any part or specimen for its intended application, visual inspection is normally the first step in the examination process. Generally, almost any specimen can be visually examined to determine the accuracy of its fabrication.
MICON NDE uses the Visual Inspection process on structures, mechanical components, welds, piping, storage tanks, pressure vessels and other hardware. Visual Testing visually checks areas to verify that they meet the applicable code or standard. Inspection may include magnification, remote optical viewing devices, and additional measurement tools.
Application Specific Standards
- EN 12952-6, Water-tube boilers and auxiliary installations Inspection during construction; documentation and marking of pressure parts of the boiler
- EN 12953-5, Shell boilers. Inspection during construction, documentation and marking of pressure parts of the boiler
- EN 13480-5, Metallic industrial piping Inspection and testing
- EN 13445-5, Unfired pressure vessels Inspection and testing
- EN 12732, Gas infrastructure. Welding steel pipework. Functional requirements
- EN 14015, Specification for the design and manufacture of site built, vertical, cylindrical, flat-bottomed, above ground, welded, steel tanks for the storage of liquids at ambient temperature and above
- EN 1090-2, Execution of steel structures and aluminium structures Technical requirements for steel structures
- EN 14197-2, Cryogenic vessels. Static non-vacuum insulated vessels Design, fabrication, inspection and testing
- EN 13458-2, Cryogenic vessels. Static vacuum insulated vessels Design, fabrication, inspection and testing
- EN-ISO 9606-1, Qualification testing of welders. Fusion welding Steels
- EN-ISO 9606-2, Qualification test of welders. Fusion welding Aluminium and aluminium alloys
- EN ISO 15614-1 Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Welding procedure test. Arc and gas welding of steels and arc welding of nickel and nickel alloys
- EN-ISO 17635, Non-destructive testing of welds. General rules for metallic materials
Standards Specific to Visual Examination
- EN 13018, Non-destructive testing. Visual testing. General principles
- EN-ISO 17637, Non-destructive testing of welds. Visual testing of fusion-welded joints
- EN ISO 5817, Welding. Fusion-welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded). Quality levels for imperfections
- EN 13927, Non-destructive testing. Visual testing. Equipment
- EN 1330-10, Non-destructive testing. Terminology Terms used in visual testing
- ISO 11971, Steel and iron castings. Visual examination of surface quality
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section V Article 9 – Visual Examination.